CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, December 28, 2008

Twilight by Stephenie Meyer

~*~Twilight by Stephenie Meyer~*~
Originality- 9/10
Characters- 19/20
Remembrance- 9/10
Setting- 19/20
Plot- 18/20
Ending- 9/10
Recommend To Read- 10/10
Total- 93/100 (this whole 93 thing is getting weird)
Grade- A



(from B&N. really and truly!)
When Isabella Swan moves to the gloomy town of Forks and meets the mysterious, alluring Edward Cullen, her life takes a thrilling and terrifying turn. With his porcelain skin, golden eyes, mesmerizing voice, and supernatural gifts, Edward is both irresistible and impenetrable. Up until now, he has managed to keep his true identity hidden, but Bella is determined to uncover his dark secret. What Bella doesn’t realize is the closer she gets to him, the more she is putting herself and those around her at risk. And, it might be too late to turn back. . . .


When (haha. weird. sorry for double "when"s) I first read this book I am pretty sure I thought that it was the best thing I ever read. I still love it, but I think that multiple re-readings and discovering new books dulled my fascination with Twilight. Honestly, after reading many more vampire books, I see that Twilight is a major cliche. There is always that ridiculous intrigue with vampires and Bella has got it bad. I don't want to question Stephenie Meyer, but this story largely reminds me of The Vampire Diaries. I'm not saying that it is word for word, but it is pretty obvious that the only thing that she dreamed was the meadow. But she hadn't known much about vampires, so I'm fairly sure she hadn't read any of L.J. Smith's work so it is probably a huge coincidence. I like the characters, the setting, basically everything, but as I said, reading more vampire books made me re-think Twilight. Bella, however relatable she is, is an idiot. There, I've said it. She must be an idiot to flounce around screaming "I'm not afraid of vampires!". Well, she didn't actually do that, but you get the point. Other girls in vampire books have some sense of fear. If Bella was a naturally fearless person then I would understand. I would accept that. But Bella is afraid of dancing and embarrassment but she isn't afraid of getting her blood drained and ultimately dieing. See, those are the mannerisms of an idiot. I like Edward, though. Not as much as other fans probably, but he is okay. And, unlike Bella, he isn't as much of an idiot. He is an idiot for staying around when he is tempted so much to kill this girl. He should have stayed with the Denali clan in the beginning of the book. What did he think that he could achieve by coming back? Healing his wounded pride, maybe? He saw Alice's visions. He knew that Bella and him would most likely get together. And he most definitely knew that he wanted to drink her blood. So with his fascination in her because he couldn't read her mind, along with the blood thing, and the visions, he should have known to cut out soon before he could really hurt her. But noooo. Still, he isn't as idiotic as Bella and I congradulate him on that. So, this is what I think of Twilight. It is an awesome romancy book for vamp lovers and for love lovers. You'll swoon, want to cry, laugh till your throat hurts, and wish you were Bella. It is a sexy sexy book with sexy sexy vampires. But something about this sexy sexy book makes it a favorite with everyone. From tweens to teens to mothers to grannies. Everyone loves it.

The movie was very good. I've seen it two times and it just keeps getting better. I know that some people didn't like it. Some thought that it was horrible. These people, in my opinion, have high frickin standards. I'm sure they expected it to be like the book, word-for-word, even if they deny it. It was wonderful and the thing that you need to do is push the book from your mind. Just forget it and the movie will be a fantastic experience for you. The only thing you achieve by reading the book before seeing the movie is getting how difficult it is for the vampires and a couple of inside jokes. Seriously, I think that you should see the movie before the book so you don't have as many expectations. I thought that the movie was as good as the book. And with the movie, you get to see Bella and Edward's chemistry firsthand. And I loved it--it's my favorite movie. Sure, I wasn't all that certain about Robert Pattinson and a little apprehensive about Kristin Stewart, but they pulled it off. They may not be the way I pictured the characters from the books but they did a great job and made the movie like the book--magical. I can't imagine how they could have made the movie better...well, except for the how "sparkle" thing because if that is how Meyer's vampires really look in the sunlight, then I could become one without having to wait those three days. The movie had a huge cliffhanger at the end and I think they made it perfect with Victoria at the prom. It just showed how she could get past the vampires boundaries and showed how truly lethal she is. I swear, some people who are criticizing it seriously need to think. Sorry they didn't appeal the movie to you, but it is supposed to be appealing to the masses. Entertaining them, making them think. I'm disappointed in the people who didn't get all the non-Twilight jokes in the movie. You people who didn't like it, as I've said before, expect too much. But I am ecstatic about New Moon and even if they replace Taylor Lautner, it'll still be great. I'm down for having Edward leave for a bit to have Bella and Jacob get to know each other better. I admit that Lautner and Stewart did look a bit uncomfortable around each other in the movie so if they find a Jacob with more chemistry with Stewart, that would be great. Don't forget! The movie comes out in two formats on DVD: the normal version and the special edition on Valentine's Day!

Hearts&Circles,
Tay-Toe

1 comments:

nadine said...

Well I really really liked Twilight, like it was the first and only book I would probably re-read of free will. But, after a friend pointed it out to me, turns out I didn't liket he book that much, it was just Edward that I liked. It's still a good book though, and the BEST out of the four.

The movie though was crappy, I didn't even finish it. I would only watch it again just to make fun of it. The acting was awful and Bella looked like she was scared and confused the whole time. It was just really stupid and upset me a lot.

=)
TruBlu